Feeling stuck with a daunting task on your to-do list? Get ChatGPT to interview you about it!
Motivating yourself to get started can be hard. You wish someone would sit down with you, guide you through the process, and push you to get it done.
ChatGPT can do just that - through a series of interview questions, it will help you clarify and express your own ideas, improve your understanding, and turn your answers into a fully-fledged document.
In this guide, I’ll explain the benefits of having an interview with ChatGPT and show you how to write interview prompts. You’ll also get 5 examples to try right now!
How ChatGPT can interview YOU
You’re probably wondering - how can ChatGPT interview me?
Here’s how it works:
- You create a detailed prompt with all the questions you need to answer
- ChatGPT asks you each question one by one
- It compiles your answers into the final format of your choice!
Sounds simple, right? But, as usual, it all begins with a well-written prompt.
For a successful interview, make sure your prompt includes:
- An explanation of the task you need to achieve (write an onboarding doc, decide on quarterly goals and implementation plan, etc.)
- A bunch of questions to answer. Here’s the fun part - you don’t need to know all the answers yet, only the questions.
- Specific instructions. Tell ChatGPT to conduct an interview and ask each question individually. You can also tell ChatGPT to “Act as a…(hiring manager, business coach, etc).” This is one of my favorite tricks to get ChatGPT to behave in a certain way and provide answers within a particular context.
Don’t forget to save your prompt so you (or your team members) can use it again!
Once you’ve finished all the questions, you can ask ChatGPT to turn all the information into an onboarding doc, goal strategy, weekly schedule, etc, and with a few small tweaks, your doc will be ready to use!
The benefits of getting ChatGPT to interview you
Now, the next question on your mind might be something like:
What’s the benefit of having ChatGPT interview me?
Here are a few reasons to give it a try.
- Less overwhelm — Staring at a blank page can make you feel stuck, and even a long list of questions can be totally overwhelming. With ChatGPT, you can take questions one by one and have time and space to think about each answer.
- More engaging — Filling up a massive form of questions is not an exciting prospect. On the other hand, setting up an interview with a colleague would undoubtedly make the experience more fun. This ChatGPT approach feels like a friendly conversation rather than a form-filling exercise.
- Lighter work — As you answer the questions, ChatGPT does the hard work of transforming those answers into the document you need. You may only need minimal edits to finalize the work.
- Consistency — Using the same prompt for recurring processes or with different team members means your documents will be more consistent and follow a standard format.
- External influence — ChatGPT can act as a motivator to help you to get important work done. We often need that external influence, and if you don’t have a coach or mentor, ChatGPT can take on that role.
5 ways to get ChatGPT to interview you
Let’s get into some examples!
You can set up an interview with ChatGPT for just about any purpose - whether it’s exploring an idea, creating a document, or writing a video script!
I’ve tried all 5 of the following use cases, and amazing results are possible with well-worded prompts.
Setting quarterly goals
To stay on track with projects and habits, create an interview template that you’ll run with ChatGPT every quarter.
ChatGPT can ask you what you want to achieve, habits to sustain (or break) and allow you to dig into what you’ll do to complete your objectives.
Examples of questions to include:
- Name 3-5 goals you want to achieve this quarter.
- For each objective, can you provide SMART goals?
- Why do you want to achieve these goals? Provide at least one reason for each goal.
- Are there any blockers that might prevent you from reaching your goals?
- What could you do to avoid or overcome those blockers?
- Describe how you will feel at the end of the quarter if you hit all these goals.
Preparing your week
Use an interview prompt to get ready for the week ahead and decide how you’ll spend your time.
In the prompt, you can ask ChatGPT to draw up a schedule for the week ahead based on your answers.
Here are some questions to include:
- What was your proudest achievement of the past week?
- Is there anything you would like to do differently this week?
- What would you like to spend more or less time on compared to last week?
- List the top 3 things you must accomplish this week - these should be your top priorities.
- What are some other things that would be great to get done?
- What appointments, meetings, or other commitments are on your calendar for the week?
Write job descriptions
Creating job descriptions for hiring can be a boring process. So let’s make it fun with ChatGPT!
If everyone uses the same template for new hires, job descriptions will become more consistent across your company and contain all the important information.
Here are some questions to include in your job description interview:
- What is the job title, level (entry, mid, senior, etc) and salary range for this role?
- What will be the basic terms of the role - working hours, remote/hybrid, etc
- What key responsibilities will the new hire have?
- Describe a typical working day for your new employee.
- What are some non-negotiable skills and experience the candidate must have? Provide all specifics - education level, software proficiencies, years of experience, languages, etc
- Are there any “nice-to-haves” that could give a candidate some advantage?
Create a 30-60-90 day onboarding plan
Ensure new hires get all the support they need when joining the team.
Your onboarding interview is a great way for you to figure out all the materials new employees need - ChatGPT can also help you compile all those materials.
Some questions for your onboarding plan interview:
- Can you describe the specifics of the role that is being filled?
- What are the core responsibilities that this role will carry?
- What key skills and competencies are essential for success in this role?
30 Day Plan
- What key information, systems, or processes will the new hire need to understand during their first month?
- Who are the key stakeholders and team members the new hire will need to build relationships with?
- What specific trainings, workshops, or webinars should the new hire undertake to get up to speed quickly?
- How should the knowledge and skills gained during the first month be applied in the second month?
- What goals and key performance indicators (KPIs) could be set for the second month to track the new hire's progress and contributions?
- Are there existing processes, systems, or projects that the new hire should focus on improving?
- What aspects of the role can the new hire take full ownership of by the third month?
- How can the new hire demonstrate their efficiency and effectiveness with concrete results by the end of the third month?
- How can the new hire demonstrate leadership by initiating new projects or mentoring others?
Performance reviews are essential to keeping your team members happy and successful, and help prevent high employee turnover.
You can prepare for all performance reviews using an interview template in ChatGPT that contains questions such as:
- How has the employee exceeded expectations during the quarter?
- What has been lacking from their performance?
- What possible factors could be holding your employee back?
- Is there any extra training or support your employee might need?
- What could help your team member to improve/sustain their performance?
- Compared to last quarter’s performance review - what’s changed?
What everyone gets wrong about ChatGPT
Many people think that using ChatGPT to write a job description, for example, means typing a simple phrase like “please write a job description”
And then running with the basic, cookie-cutter response that ChatGPT provides.
As you can see, this is absolutely NOT how to get amazing output from ChatGPT!
Take your ChatGPT results to the next level by getting ChatGPT to play the role of an interviewer and help you work through challenges in an engaging way, one question at a time.
You’ll get customized results based entirely on your knowledge and wisdom, which you can speedily transform into handy documents like onboarding manuals, weekly schedules, and more.